- The definition of affix is to attach something.
An example of affixing is fastening a Girl Scout badge to a sash.
- Affix means to create an addition to something.
An example of affix is to add an extra paragraph to a letter.
- Affix is defined as to create an impression.
An example of affix is when a Notary Public impresses her seal on a legal document.
- to fasten; attach: to affix a label to a bottle
- to add at the end; append
Origin of affix; from Classical Latin affixus, past participle of affigere, to fasten to ; from ad-, to + figere, fix
- a thing affixed
- Linguis. a prefix, suffix, or infix
Origin of affixFr affixe < L affixus: see affixthe
transitive verbaf·fixed, af·fix·ing, af·fix·es
- To secure to something; attach: affix a label to a package.
- To impute; attribute: affix blame to him.
- To place at the end; append: affix a postscript to a letter.
- Linguistics To add as an affix.
- Something that is attached, joined, or added; an appendage or addition.
- Linguistics A word element, such as a prefix or suffix, that can only occur attached to a base, stem, or root.
Origin of affixMedieval Latin aff&imacron;x&amacron;re, frequentative of Latin aff&imacron;gere, aff&imacron;x- : ad-, ad- + f&imacron;gere, to fasten; see dh&imacron;gw- in Indo-European roots.
- That which is affixed; an appendage.
- (linguistics) A bound morpheme added to a word’s stem; formerly applied only to suffixes (also called postfixes), the term as now used comprises prefixes, suffixes, infixes, circumfixes, and suprafixes.
- (mathematics) The complex number associated to the point in the Gauss Plane with coordinates .
(third-person singular simple present affixes, present participle affixing, simple past and past participle affixed)
- To attach.
- to affix a stigma to a person; to affix ridicule or blame to somebody
- To subjoin, annex, or add at the close or end; to append to.
- to affix a syllable to a word; to affix a seal to an instrument; to affix one's name to a writing
- To fix or fasten figuratively; with on or upon.
- eyes affixed upon the ground
affix - Legal Definition