- An example of an appropriation is a state budget fund that is earmarked for education.
- An example of an appropriation is a certain amount of profits that a company may decide to make available for a capital expenditure, such as a new building.
- An example of an appropriation is when the United States Congress makes money available from the budget for military operations.
The definition of appropriation is a direction which is given that money is to be spent for a certain purpose.
- an appropriating or being appropriated
- [often pl.] a thing appropriated; esp., money set aside for a specific use
- The act of appropriating.
- a. Something appropriated, especially public funds set aside for a specific purpose.b. A legislative act authorizing the expenditure of a designated amount of public funds for a specific purpose.
appropriation - Legal Definition
- The taking of control or possession of property, especially the government’s taking of private property for a public purpose.
- The act by a legislative body to designate or set aside public funds for a government expenditure.
- In tort law, the taking of the name or likeness of one person by another for a commercial purpose. It is considered an invasion of privacy.