- An associate is defined as someone who is at a more junior level in an organization.
An example of an associate is an associate professor who has less years of teaching experience than a full professor.
- The definition of an associate is someone who is a friend, someone with whom you work or someone who is a co-conspirator.
- An example of an associate is someone with whom you went to school.
- An example of an associate are two secretaries who work for the same company.
- An example of an associate is someone who plans a crime with someone else.
- To associate is defined as to bring two or more things together, or to have a relationship of some sort with another person or organization.
- An example of two things you may associate are peanut butter and jelly.
- An example of someone with whom you may associate is a co-worker.
transitive verb-·at·ed, -·at·ing
- to join together; connect; combine
- to bring (a person) into relationship with oneself or another as companion, partner, friend, etc.
- to connect in the mind: to associate rain with grief
Origin of associatefrom Classical Latin associatus, past participle of associare, join to from ad-, to + sociare, unite with from socius, companion: see social
- to join (with another or others) as a companion, partner, friend, etc.
- to join together; unite
- a person with whom one is associated; friend, partner, fellow worker, etc.
- a member of less than full status, as of a society, institute, etc.
- a degree or certificate granted by a junior college to those who have completed the regular two-year course: an Associate in (or of) Arts
- a person employed in a retail store, esp. in selling goods or services; salesclerk
- joined with others in some venture, work, etc.: an associate justice
- having less than full status: an associate membership
- accompanying; connected
verbas·so·ci·at·ed, as·so·ci·at·ing, as·so·ci·ates
- To connect in the mind or imagination: “I always somehow associate Chatterton with autumn” ( John Keats )
- To connect or involve with a cause, group, or partner: Wasn't she associated with the surrealists?
- To correlate or connect logically or causally: Asthma is associated with air pollution.
- To join in or form a league, union, or association: The workers associated in a union.
- To spend time socially; keep company: associates with her coworkers on weekends.
- a. A person united with another or others in an act, enterprise, or business; a partner or colleague.b. An employee, especially one in a subordinate position,
- A companion; a comrade.
- One that habitually accompanies or is associated with another; an attendant circumstance.
- A member of an institution or society who is granted only partial status or privileges.
- Joined with another or others and having equal or nearly equal status: an associate editor.
- Having partial status or privileges: an associate member of the club.
- Following or accompanying; concomitant.
Origin of associateFrom the Middle English adjective associat associated, allied from Latin associātus past participle of associāre to associate ad- ad- socius companion ; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.
- Joined with another or others and having equal or nearly equal status.
- He is an associate editor.
- Having partial status or privileges.
- He is an associate member of the club.
- Following or accompanying; concomitant.
- (biology, dated) Connected by habit or sympathy.
- associate motions: those that occur sympathetically, in consequence of preceding motions
(third-person singular simple present associates, present participle associating, simple past and past participle associated)
- (intransitive) To join in or form a league, union, or association.
- (intransitive) To spend time socially; keep company.
- She associates with her coworkers on weekends.
- To join as a partner, ally, or friend.
- To connect or join together; combine.
- particles of gold associated with other substances
- To connect evidentially, or in the mind or imagination.
- (reflexive, in deliberative bodies) To endorse.
- (slang) An associate's degree.
associate - Computer Definition
associate - Legal Definition
- A colleague, companion, partner, or fellow employee.
- A junior member of an association, institution, organization, profession, or society.
- A junior member of a law firm who typically works on salary and does not share in the ownership, profits, or decision-making of the firm.