- a separation by force
- Med. the tearing away of a structure or part by surgical traction or by accident
- a structure, part, etc. separated by force
- the sudden removal of a person's land by the action of water, as by flood or change in the course of a stream, without a resulting loss of ownership
Origin of avulsionClassical Latin avulsio ; from a-, from + past participle of vellere, to pull: see revulsion
- The forcible tearing away of a body part by trauma or surgery.
- The sudden movement of soil from one property to another as a result of a flood or a shift in the course of a boundary stream.
- The loss or separation of a body part, either by surgery or due to trauma
- An abrupt change in the course of a river, typically from one channel to another
- (hydrology) Movement of soil during a flood, or during a change in the course of a river, especially when a resulting change of land ownership is involved
avulsion - Legal Definition