- The definition of a delegate is a representative authorized to speak or act for others.
An example of a delegate is a politician who speaks on behalf of a group of people.
- To delegate is defined as to assign a task to someone else or to give authority to someone else.
An example of delegate is when you tell someone to get your mail for you.
- a person authorized or sent to speak and act for others; representative, as at a convention
- ⌂ Historical a representative of a U.S. Territory in the House of Representatives, with the right to speak but not to vote
- ⌂ a member of a House of Delegates
Origin of delegateMiddle English delegat ; from Medieval Latin delegatus ; from past participle of Classical Latin delegare, to send from one place to another, appoint, assign ; from de-, from + legare, to send: see legate
- to send or appoint as a representative or deputy
- to entrust (authority, power, etc.) to a person acting as one's agent or representative
- A person authorized to act as representative for another; a deputy or agent.
- A representative to a conference or convention.
- A member of a House of Delegates, the lower house of the Maryland, Virginia, or West Virginia legislature.
- An elected or appointed representative of a US territory in the House of Representatives who is entitled to speak but not vote.
transitive verbdel·e·gat·ed, del·e·gat·ing, del·e·gates
- To authorize and send (another person) as one's representative.
- To commit or entrust to another: delegate a task to a subordinate.
Origin of delegateMiddle English delegat, from Medieval Latin dēlēgātus, from past participle of dēlēgāre, to dispatch : Latin dē-, de- + Latin lēgāre, to send; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present delegates, present participle delegating, simple past and past participle delegated)
From Old French delegat, from Latin delegatus.
delegate - Legal Definition
- One who acts on behalf of one or more others in an official capacity.
- The act of granting another the power to act on one’s behalf.