- When an era of censorship ends and ideas about political freedom can suddenly be shared, this is an example of emancipation.
- When the slaves were freed by Lincoln, this is an example of emancipation.
- The act or an instance of emancipating.
- The condition of being emancipated.
(usually uncountable, plural emancipations)
- The act of setting free from the power of another, from slavery, subjection, dependence, or controlling influence
- The state of being thus set free; liberation; used of slaves, minors, of a person from prejudices, of the mind from superstition, of a nation from tyranny or subjection.
- US President Abraham Lincoln was called the Great Emancipator after issuing the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863.
emancipation - Legal Definition