- an expecting or being expected; expectation
- that which is expected, esp. on a statistical basis: life expectancy
Origin of expectancyMedieval Latin expectantia ; from Classical Latin expectans: see expectant
- The act or state of expecting; expectation: Tense with expectancy, I waited for my name to be called.
- The state of being expected.
- Something expected.
- An expected amount calculated on the basis of actuarial data: a life expectancy of 70 years.
expectancy - Legal Definition
The expectation that an heir or legatee will acquire property at another’s death; of real estate, a remainder or reversion.